Barriers & Reasonable accommodation are two crucial concepts listed in the RPwD Act 2016 which addresses the issues that have hindered the development of PwDs.
Barriers are factors in a person’s environment that, through their absence or presence limits the functioning of PwDs. Reasonable accommodation are appropriate modification and adjustments addressing various barriers to ensure persons with disabilities enjoy or exercise of rights equally with other.
In the section will present the various barriers and plausible solutions towards creating an inclusive work environment for PwDs.
- Importance of using the right words while addressing persons with disabilities
- Correct terminologies for persons across the 21 disabilities recognised in the RPwD Act 2016
- Definition of barrier
- Types of Barriers
- How do we define structural barriers
- Common Examples of Structural barriers
- Ideal Solutions for structural barriers
- How is reasonable accommodation defined
- common examples of Reasonable Accommodation
- Examples of what is not Reasonable Accommodation
- Definition of inclusive hiring
- Inclusive hiring & post hiring practices
- Inclusive organisational policies
- Through a few scenarios we will understand the Do & Don’ts while interacting with a Person with visual impairment
- We will then look at the ideal way of assisting a Person with visual impairment
- And also how to Greet a Person with visual impairment
- A Quiz follows that will help you recapitulate the learning in this microlesson
- What is Built Environment?
- What is Built Environment Accessibility?
- What are the indoor & outdoor features of Built Environment Accessibility?
- What are the different kinds of built environment accessibility for the visually impaired?
- What is tactile flooring?
- What are the types of tactile flooring?
- What are the guiding blocks for persons with visual impairment?
- What are Assistive Technologies?
- Common Assistive Technologies used by persons with upper & lower limb disability or persons with spinal injuries.
- What the different Types of wheelchairs can such a person use?
- How does a person with locomotor disability commute independently?
- What is Assistive Technology?
- What are some common assistive technologies used by persons with visual impairment?
- What are some mobile apps used by persons with visual impairment?
- What is Web Accessibility?